Pork “Thai Fry”
What could be better than your favourite Asian flavours coming together to create two meals in one.
Cut: Pork Chops
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (20 mL) honey or sugar
- 3 limes, halved, divided use
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grated gingerroot
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted peanuts (about 2 oz.)
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil, divided use
- 1 1/2 lbs (750 g) boneless center cut pork chops, trimmed and chopped
- 8 oz. (250 g) asparagus spears, sliced in 2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chopped red bell pepper, about 1 large pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) matchstick carrots
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped green onions (white and green parts), about 6-8 medium green onions
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- Whisk together the soy sauce, honey, juice of 1 lime and the ginger in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add peanuts and cook 2 minutes or until beginning to lightly brown, stirring frequently. Set aside on separate plate.
- Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) oil in skillet. Add half of the pork and cook 4 minutes or until slightly pink in center, stirring occasionally. Set aside on a separate plate. Repeat with 1 tsp (5 mL) oil and remaining pork and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) oil, add the asparagus, bell pepper, carrots, and green onions; cook 4 minutes or until tender crisp.
- Remove skillet from heat, stir in the pork and any accumulated juices and cilantro. Reserve half of the pork mixture for the “Pork and Fresh Ginger Soup” recipe.
- Serve remaining half of the pork mixture in 4 bowls to contain the liquid. Spoon the soy sauce mixture evenly over all and sprinkle with peanuts. Do not stir. Serve with remaining lime halves.
Cook’s Tip: Lightly coat a measuring spoon with cooking spray before measuring the honey. This allows the honey to easily slide off of the spoon when adding to other ingredients/
Cook’s Tip: To dissolve the honey quickly, place the honey, soy sauce, and the 2 tsp. lime juice in a small microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.
1 cup (250 mL) pork mixture, 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sauce and 2 Tbsp (30 mL) nuts per serving.
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
Source: Nancy Hughes