Sausage & Bacon White Bean Chili
The perfect comfort food for those chilly nights!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
- 1 lb (500 kg) fresh Canadian pork sausage, Italian (mild or hot) or Andouille
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 strips thick cut bacon, cooked and coarsely chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (19 oz / 540 mL) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (19 oz / 540 mL) cans white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup / 250 mL beer or sodium- reduced chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chili powder, or more to taste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) EACH ground cumin and smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL ) shredded cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Remove sausage meat from casings.
- In large sauté pan, cook sausage meat over medium-high heat until lightly browned, breaking up larger pieces with spatula, 8-10 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook 3-4 minutes more. Add bacon, plum tomatoes, bell pepper, crushed tomatoes, beans, beer or stock, chili powder, cumin and paprika; stir to combine. Turn heat to low; cover pan and simmer 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle chili into individual bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream, sprinkle with cheese and garnish with green onion. Serve with a side salad, garlic toast or tortilla chips.
1 3/4 cups (425 mL) per serving
|Total Fat||29 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
Source: Manitoba Pork