Sweet & Savoury Bacon Marmalade
Use this sweet and savoury treat as a condiment on everything from sandwiches and wraps to grilled meats and seafood. Or, simply spread on toasted bread or crackers and enjoy.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Number of Servings:
- 1 (12 oz / 350 g) package thick cut bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) freshly brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) maple syrup
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) whiskey or apple juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon or orange zest
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, fry bacon, turning often until fat is rendered and bacon is lightly browned. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fat from skillet. Add onion; cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in coffee, maple syrup, vinegar, brown sugar, ginger and cayenne pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring and scraping up brown bits from bottom of skillet.
- Return bacon to skillet. Add whiskey or apple juice; stir to combine. Reduce heat and let mixture simmer, stirring occasionally until liquid has thickened, 30-45 minutes. Transfer mixture to small food processor. Add lemon or orange zest. Pulse mixture about 5 times; do not over-blend.
- Transfer marmalade to a sterilized glass jar with screw top lid. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
1 cup (250 mL)
1 Tbsp (15 mL) per serving
|Total Fat||2.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Source: Manitoba Pork