Pork & Pancetta Bolognese
Serve up this delicious bolognese over your favourite pasta for family pasta night!
Cut: Ground Pork
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 6-8
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced pancetta
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground Canadian pork
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 cups (750 mL) store-bought marinara sauce
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dry white wine or sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
- 8 cups (2 L) cooked pasta
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Freshly chopped basil leaves for garnish
- In large sauté pan over medium heat, fry pancetta until brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove pancetta to a plate lined with paper towels; set aside.
- Drain all but 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fat from pan. Increase heat to medium-high. Add ground pork, onion and garlic to pan. Cook pork until no pink remains, breaking up larger pieces with a spatula, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in carrot and celery; cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add marinara sauce, wine or broth, nutmeg, cinnamon and bay leaf. Return pancetta to pan; stir to combine. Cover and allow mixture to simmer over low heat, about 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, and season mixture with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Serve meat sauce over your favourite style of hot cooked pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and garnish with chopped basil.
To make this rustic pasta sauce even tastier, try one of these mouthwatering tips:
• Pour in a splash of whole milk to add creaminess
• Add a pat of butter to enhance richness
• Drizzle in a bit of extra virgin olive oil to add flavour
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) per serving
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
Source: Manitoba Pork